It was not so long ago that Fortinet replaced the old NSE levels with new certification levels. We already wrote an article about this last year in this blog post. Nevertheless, let’s take a look at how you can recertify our new Fortinet certifications:
Basically, recertification is pretty simple. After two years you just have to fulfill the same requirements as for the first certification. For example, to recertify the FCP in Network Security, you must again pass one core and one elective exam from this level.
But there is an exciting second option for recertification: you just need to pass one exam from a higher level (at the same career path). So, to recertify the FCP in Network Security you only have to pass one of the three possible exams from the FCSS in Network Security. This works for all levels up to FCP. Only when recertifying your FCSS it is not enough to just take the written FCX exam. Only passing the entire FCX exam will renew your FCSS. However, the advantage is that the FCX also extends all other levels and is also valid for a full 3 years.
So let’s have look at all levels in detail:
Fortinet Certified Expert – FCX
Unlike all other certifications, you only need to recertify this level every three years. To be precise, you are not allowed before 2.5 years. Recertification as an FCX means that you have to pass the current written FCX exam, only – you do not have to do the practical exam again. In addition, all your other certifications (FCSS, FCP, FCA and FCF) will also be extended for 3 years, provided they were still valid at the time of the FCX (re-)certification.
Fortinet Certified Solution Specialist – FCSS
This level must be recertified every 2 years. For this, you must again fulfill the same requirements as for the first certification. For FCSS in Network Security for example, you have to pass one core and one elective exam. Alternatively have can recertify your FCSS by achieving the FCX.
Fortinet Certified Professional – FCP
To re-certify your exisiting FCP certification you have following options:
- fulfill the same requirements as for the first certification. For FCP in Network security you have to pass one core and one elective exam
- pass one FCSS exam in the same career path. And mind you – with that you’re already halfway to the FCSS 😉
- achieve the FCX
Fortinet Certified Associate – FCA
Again you have several options to recertify this level:
- fulfill the same requirements as for the first certification, which means you have to complete the FCA course
- pass one exam from FCP or FCSS level
- and to complete the list: you can also achieve the FCX to recertify your FCA
Fortinet Certified Fundamentals – FCF
Same procedure as for the FCA – there are multiple ways to recertify your FCF
- fulfill the same requirements as for the first FCF certification: complete one core and one elective FCF course
- complete the FCA course or pass one exam from FCP or FCSS level
- and to complete the list: achieve the FCX
Find more information on Fortinets website.